Sunday, June 14, 2009

Plauged by Doubt

Ahhh Sunday School... what can I say?

For a long time I've had an idea to do Sunday School lessons through hymns. So since I volunteered to do the youth Sunday School, I decided now would be the perfect time to try that idea out. I started this morning with "All Creatures of Our God and King" which is about 800 years old. These are the lyrics:


All creatures of our God and King
Lift up your voice and with us sing,
Alleluia! Alleluia!
Thou burning sun with golden beam,
Thou silver moon with softer gleam!

O praise Him! O praise Him!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

Thou rushing wind that art so strong
Ye clouds that sail in Heaven along,
O praise Him! Alleluia!
Thou rising moon, in praise rejoice,
Ye lights of evening, find a voice!

O praise Him! O praise Him!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

Thou flowing water, pure and clear,
Make music for thy Lord to hear,
O praise Him! Alleluia!
Thou fire so masterful and bright,
That givest man both warmth and light.

O praise Him! O praise Him!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

Let all things their Creator bless,
And worship Him in humbleness,
O praise Him! Alleluia!
Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,
And praise the Spirit, Three in One!

O praise Him! O praise Him!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!


This is one of my personal favorite hymns, and so I decided it would be a good one to start with. The lesson was on the creation of God and how it displays the glory and character of God. I was prepared. I played the song, we discussed the lyrics, I actually got the kids talking and interacting... so why do I feel like I could have done so much better?

I just wonder... I wonder if they are actually getting it, you know? And how do I know if they get it? And I wonder if they "like" me or if they think what I'm teaching is totally lame. And I wonder if I'm encouraging them enough when they do give responses, or am I making them think it's not worth it? I wonder if they are taking any of it home with them, if it's going to "stick?"

And then I wonder if it even matters if it sticks. After all, out of my own life, there are maybe three or four lessons that really "stuck." The rest wasn't exactly in one ear and out the other, but it got crowded out pretty quickly. The thing that stuck with me was the love that was lavished on me and the example that was set. I should remember that... more than freaking out that each lesson is going to somehow be the magic lesson that is impressed upon their brain forever.

So I pray that I will love. I pray that I will lead by example. And yes, I pray that the lessons touch them; that we teach the truth, but mostly, I pray for love.

Love,
Hilary

4 comments:

  1. A very good revelation, Hilary.


    Also, you guys need to mention at the beginning of the post who's writing. I frequently read it thinking it's one of you writing it when it was actually the other. It's quite a nasty surprise when I get to the bottom. Very mind-warping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to sing those old hymns Hilary (and Dan). At the 6 p.m. service we sing a lot of those old hymns. Tonight they meant something more to me, because one of our longterm member families lost their 19 year old son in a terrible car crash this past Friday evening, and I just found out tonight. I rarely watch the news, too depressing. I don't get the daily paper, also depressing. I get what I need to get by, off the internet.

    This family had 5 sons, now they have 4. He was coming home from work and was hit broadside by someone who ran a red light.

    Yes, the hymns meant so much more to me tonight. I'm going to reach out to this family with all my might this week.

    Life is too short, it is but a vapor. Don't try so hard Hilary (and Dan). Let go, and let God. I love you and pray for you. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you guys ask your youth what they think? I mean isn't that always the way to know if what your doing is right? I'm sure they like you and they could help you along if you ask them what they like and what they don't. Plus I'm sure it's still because your new. I know when I went the few times that when someone else came it was really had to begin a new and open up to newer people. I'm sure they just still need to get use to you both.
    Good luck with all that you do.
    I love you both
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey -

    Hilary, don't sweat the small stuff. It will be okay, even if the kids don't recall every detail about your lessons, even if they don't recall the lesson itself - i think what's important is that You're teaching from your heart. Do i remember every Sunday school or Youth lesson? Nope. What I do remember is that we spent an entire year doing an in-depth study of Genesis. If Anna couldn't catch our attention within the first few minutes, she made us stand up and sing a song. We had "down days" where we ate breakfast and played games (Bible Jeopardy = much yes.) My point is, they won't recall the details in years to come. Not all of them, anyway. But they will think back and say, "Hey, remember when Hilary taught us this lesson? She used that hymn, what was it called?" ... and then they'll start remembering the words, and the meanings... it will be a Blessing for them.

    The main idea, I think is to do something unusual. I like the hymn idea, it's structured and unique. So Keep at it! You'll do well!

    I love you and miss you!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete