Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Fourth of July Everyone!!



So far we've had a pretty darn good holiday weekend. Of course we miss being in Kalamazoo but... we've had a nice time all on our own. We had a fantastic Fourth of July dinner of barbecue chicken, garlic herb mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, watermelon, and for dessert, lemon cake decorated like a flag, which we've kindly included a picture of so you all can be jealous. The longer we're married, the more of our "own" traditions we get to create. I think this cake is definitely going to make it on the traditions list... DELICIOUS!

We decided not to do fireworks this year, mainly cause there's not really anywhere we knew to go, so instead we cuddled on the couch and watched the NYC fireworks on TV. We never even knew before this year that they televised them! They were far more spectacular than any fireworks show we've seen in person, and for all that, it was missing something. There's really no comparison to fireworks in person. Still, we have to admit, there were some REALLY cool ones, the likes of which we'd never seen before. Giant cubes, rainbow circles... even a smiley face!

Fortunately Dan has gotten over his sickness, so instead of preaching last week he'll be preaching tomorrow night. Next week is VBS, so we'll be insanely busy. We've also got a beach trip scheduled for Tuesday... but the weather is threatening thunderstorms so... pray for nice weather!!!

We love and miss you all... enjoy your Independence Day!
Dan and Hilary

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you two got to enjoy your 4th of July at least. After the cookout at my Uncle's house, I spent the rest of the day alone. Though, I *did* go see the new Transformers.

    Also, in retrospect, I really don't know what I was talking about in my previous post. So, you can probably afford to ignore some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kalamazoo missed you too!!!! Please send me a piece of cake in the mail, wrap it up tight so I can enjoy every bite!!! Thanks in advance. We miss you guys so much but glad you had a great 4th. of July. Love, Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated happy 4th of July! I went to Reeds Lake in East GR, haven't been there since I was a kid! I went with my daughter and my 4 grandkids. Awesome!

    Just a little "motherly" advice to you two: If you take a teaspoon of real raw honey (not the stuff in the grocery store), it acts like a natural antibiotic as well as getting rid of many of the free radicals you get in your diet. Might help keep you guys well and not get sick so often. You can usually find raw honey in a health food store.

    Take care! Love you lots!! :]

    ReplyDelete